Effective techniques for keeping your child comfortable at the dentist
Often, children benefit from using nitrous oxide/oxygen, also known as laughing gas. It is given through a small breathing mask placed over the child’s nose. This can help children stay calm and relaxed without putting them to sleep.
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recognizes this technique as a very safe, effective technique to use for treating children’s dental needs. The gas is mild and easily taken, and then with normal breathing, it is quickly eliminated from the body. It is non-addictive. While inhaling nitrous oxide/oxygen, your child remains conscious and keeps all natural reflexes.
Mild to moderate sedation is sometimes recommended for apprehensive children, very young children, and some children and adults with special needs. It is used to help calm your child and to reduce the anxiety some children associate with dental treatment.
Sedation is intended to help your child remain calm during dental care, not to make them unconscious.
There are a number of different medications that can be used for mild to moderate sedation. You child’s pediatric dentist will recommend the medication best suited for your child’s overall health and dental treatment needs and will answer all your questions regarding the medication and procedures.
Keeps children calm
Prior to your appointment:
- Please notify us of any change in your child’s health and/or medical condition. Do not bring your child for treatment with a fever, ear infection or cold. Should your child become ill, contact us to see if it is necessary to postpone the appointment.
- You must tell the doctor of any drugs that your child is currently taking and any drug reactions and/or change in medical history.
- Please dress your child in loose fitting, comfortable clothing.
- Please make sure that your child goes to the bathroom immediately prior to arriving at the office.
- Your child should not have solid food for at least 6 hours prior to their sedation appointment and only clear liquids for up to 4 hours before the appointment.
- The child’s parent or legal guardian must remain at the office during the complete procedure.
- Please watch your child closely while the medication is taking effect. Hold them in your lap or keep close to you.
- Your child will act drowsy and may become slightly excited at first.
After the sedation appointment:
- Your child will be drowsy and will need to be monitored for the rest of the day. Keep your child away from areas of potential harm.
- If your child wants to sleep, place them on their side with their chin up. Wake your child every hour and encourage them to have something to drink in order to prevent dehydration. At first it is best to give your child sips of clear liquids to prevent nausea. The first meal should be light and easily digestible.
- Because we use local anesthetic to numb your child’s mouth during the procedure, your child may have the tendency to bite or chew their lips, cheeks, and/or tongue and/or rub and scratch their face after treatment. Please observe your child carefully to prevent any injury to these areas.
Please call our office for any questions or concerns that you might have.
Our General Dentistry Services
General Pediatric Dentistry
Restorative, cosmetic and emergency pediatric dental services with a dedicated, highly-trained team.
Preventive Pediatric Dentistry
Schedule your Appointment
Call: (517) 787-1022
What our customers say
Worth the drive
“We drove 45 minutes for my very nervous
6 year old to be seen by Dr. Davenport and we had a great experience. He and all the staff were very friendly and made my daughter feel very welcomed. Definitely worth the drive and would recommend.”
– Heather B.
“Love Dr. Davenport and the front office staff. Everyone is very helpful. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a pediatric dentist.”
– Jerry B.
Making my kids so at ease
“Been going here for about 8 years. My children LOVE the entire staff and get as excited as if it was their birthdays on cleaning days! We love this practice so much. Thank you to everyone there for making my kids so at ease.”
– Bryn P.
Doctors are top notch
“We drive for an hour just to see this office. The staff is awesome. It’s clean, a fun atmosphere and the doctors are top notch. My kids actually look forward to coming and never give me any trouble. That speaks volumes about how great they are.”
– Jennifer R.
Kind and attentive to our needs
“Our entire experience with Jackson Pediatric Dentistry was amazing. Dr. Emily Kaiser has a huge heart for children. She goes above and beyond for her patients. I am very fearful of going to the dentist- but she explains things in ways that puts our minds at ease, and her staff are kind and attentive…
– Jim T.